Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Durian Feast... Finally

Last night, the happening group went out for dinner at Balestier, we had Bak Kut Teh at a coffee shop, which I have no idea whats the name. But Jennifer and S.E.O. arrived first and they went to "chup" a table there for us. Hahaha... me and hubby went to pick Jac up before heading to Balestier. They, the typical Sporean, loved that Bak Kut Teh (peppery type). But not me, as I am from Butterworth, my fav version of Bak Kut Teh is the herbal ones. With lots of mushrooms in it. Even the thought of it makes me drool. I will take some pics of this Bak Kut Teh when I next go back to Penang, perhaps, CNY (if they are open during CNY, never know).

After dinner, we had it planned. This time, die die must go to that durian stall which we missed it last month. (we found out later from the uncle that they were closed for the whole month of Aug as there weren't much good durians around). Finally, Combat Durian!!! Here we are.

We all agreed, that these were the best Mao Shan Wang durians and only $12/kg. Reasonable for the quality we were getting. Damn good I have to say. I can be very picky when it comes to durians, I only like them not too wet, not too dry, not too chunky and chewy, not bitter, but sweet and creamy and melts in your mouth. These ones, won me over and I will definitely go there again for good durians. I am now , planning to bring my MIL there one of these weekends as she loves durians too.

So, to all of you durian lovers out there, if you want good durians, do try Combat Durian at Balestier. Its next to a temple, just by the road side. Not to worry, they provide water for washing your hands before and after eating your yummy durians, and free drinking water too.



As these fruits are known to be heaty, its a norm to eat mangosteen after durian feasting.

1 comment: