Monday, November 2, 2009

Cooking Boeuf Bourguignon

I was having Superhubby's besties over for lunch at our place. So I decided to cook the french beef stew called Boeuf Bourguignon. For a first timer, I did quite fairly well, though not perfect. Whose perfect anyway??? I modified the method to suits my time and taste.

Fresh chunks of beef... Chunks of carrots and tomatoes... I was supposed to use tomato paste.. but I couldn't get the one I wanted... so I just make do with the fresh ones...
Pieces of meat are being sauted till medium rare and removed to a separate plate so that I can use this fats from the meat to saute the carrots, onions, tomatoes and brown button mushrooms.

Then place all these ingredients in a pot or casserole (I used non-stick pot as my casserole is not big enough to cook these chunks). Add salt and pepper to taste. I added some herbs to bring out the flavour of this dish too. Pour a whole bottle of red wine (preferably young red) and simmer under slow fire and cook this for 3 to 5 hours. I cooked this at night as I was busy on Saturday night. Hence, I cooked 3 hours the night before and another 2 hours on Sunday morning.

Boeuf Bourguignon

3 comments:

  1. That's quite a lot of tomatos in there. If you're using tomato paste then it just requires 1 tablespoon of it.....no garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope... no garlic cos I had totally forgotten about it.. Haha.. but I am not a garlic person.. so still not so bad... at least they were all licked up clean and yummy...:oP

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.. actually there weren't really a lot of tomatoes.. only 2 small ones ,to a ratio of one BIG pot of other ingredients and meat.. they looked a lot cos I cut them into really tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete